Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

The downfall of America

I've been home sick for three days now, and in that time, I've had plenty of opportunity to watch A LOT of TV. I have seen ads for shows that just make me shake my head and ask why, like a new show on TLC called "The Unpoppables" which is an entire show about balloon artists. Now, TLC has some really interesting shows, but how many episodes can you make about balloon artists?

That's not even what prompted this posting, it's another show I saw advertised on TLC (yes, I'm kind of hooked on that channel the past few days). The show that got me really worked up is a show called "Outrageous Kid Parties". This show is exactly what it sounds like, parents going WAY too far to give their kids a memorable birthday party. So it hits me, this kind of activity is what's wrong with this country.

Overindulged, spoiled rotten, little kids who never get told no are going to be the downfall of civilization. In the main preview for this show, this mom is planning a birthday party for her daughter, who looks to be about 6 and the budget is $15,000. That is freaking ridiculous. I find it terribly sad that a parent feels the need to spend that much money on a party for anyone, let along a little child.

It's a shame that these parents feel the need to buy the love of their child as that can be the only explanation. I just keep singing the Hall and Oates song "Rich Girl" which basically says that the rich girl will never need to be strong because she's got her daddy's money. This little girl will never know what it means to actually earn something on her own. Her parents have set the example by handing things to her. What a shame.

Sound familiar? Does the name Lindsey Lohan mean anything to anyone? What about Paris Hilton? Spoiled rotten rich kids who have never had to work for anything and these are the examples that are being set for our young girls in this country. One can hope that others will see this show and be as disgusted as me, but unless people scream about it, no one will ever get rid of it.

I'm thinking I've rambled in this post, perhaps it's the sickness, but maybe it's just that I have so much to say that my brain works faster than my fingers.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, it isn't just spoiled rotten rich kids dragging us down. It's the whole generation of children who've grown up without being disciplined. Those who feel they are entitled to go to college regardless of how well they do in high school, that think they deserve a job because they manage to graduate from college, and don't see a problem with taking money from others and giving it to people who've got no motivation to get a job.

    ReplyDelete