Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bieber Fever? Who cares?

Let me just start by saying that I don’t have Bieber fever, I don’t even like him a little, it’s just that I’m not at all surprised about the success of Justin Bieber’s documentary. As an “expired” teenage girl, I remember how much money I used to spend on magazines, movies, TV and other merchandise, just as long as my favorite guy of the moment was involved in any way. Having said that, it’s not surprising to me at all that this movie is the #1 concert movie ever and I am VERY glad that I don’t have teenage daughters so I don’t have to be infected vicariously with Bieber fever.

So, why are teenage girls such a driving force for consumerism? Who knows really? Maybe it’s because they are “daddy’s little girl” and they don’t get told no, or it might be that there are more girls than boys, but I think it’s because teenage girls are more driven to get what they want and to either fit in with the crowd or to start their own trends. Who doesn’t want to start something that will have lasting effects and essentially make their mark on the world? You’d be lying if you said “not me” because everyone wants to leave a mark of some kind. It’s why we all strive for that illusive 15 minutes of fame.

I don’t get it, this Bieber fever thing. What makes him so wonderful? Okay, I can give the kid “props” for getting out there and chasing his dream, AND using social media to do so, that’s kind of cool, but other than that, I still don’t get it. I mean, let’s start with the hair, what’s up with that? It’s the new style, right? Wrong, it’s not a style for pete’s sake. He doesn’t even do his own hair I’ll bet. I’m sure there is some stylist that just got lazy one day and decided to flatten his hair down to his head from the crown out and they said “voila” and a new hairstyle was born and now you see it EVERYWHERE! Wow!

And, how can a 16-year-old singer have enough story to tell to create documentary about their life? What life, he’s 16! Most famous people don’t get their life story told until their old or dead. Again, I just don’t understand why this one is so special?

Okay, I’m rambling again. That’s what I get for shooting from the hip and just writing. Sometimes the thoughts just flow too quickly for me to organize. Oh well, maybe I’ll make a youtube video of me typing my blog and then I can be famous too!

No comments:

Post a Comment